girlsoloinarabia.typepad.com > 06. Uzbekistan

« Back to 06. Uzbekistan

Ak-Sai palace

Ak-Sai palace

Shakrisabz

This 200 ft tower (one of two) which joined a massive 130 ft portal, is all that remains of Tamerlane's great palace, built by craftsmen from Konye-Urgench after he sacked it in 1379. When Clavijo de Ruys, the Spanish envoy, arrived in 1404 he was incredulous; "the walls are panelled with gold and blue tiles and the ceiling is entirely of gold work." The mason who tiled the exterior, perhaps unhappy at his enforced exile, was less enamored; on the eastern tower is written; "the Sultan is the Shadow of Allah", on the western tower, "the Sultan is a shadow'.

Permalink