girlsoloinarabia.typepad.com > 17. Kenya

« Back to 17. Kenya

Cannon at Fort Jesus, Mombasa

Cannon at Fort Jesus, Mombasa

Mombasa, Kenya

These guns were known as carronades after Carron Ironworks in Scotland where they were cast. Invented in 1759 they were nicknamed 'The smasher' and were adopted by The Royal Navy in 1799 for short range battering (200 meters) of ships and buildings. It was later loaded with grape shot and use as fort defense and anti-personnel weaponry.

Permalink